Start building YOUR perfect salad today! Of course, you want to start with leafy lettuces and greens. Then, add bright and colorful fruits and/or vegetables. Don’t forget to power up with protein (chicken, fish, lean meat, beans, tofu, tempeh, lentils, other legumes). Lastly, Splash with a simple salad dressing (homemade is usually best)! Here are 7 tips to make it EVEN BETTER!
1. Make is seasonal: More nutrition, better taste, and supports local farmers.
2. Invest in useful equipment: For example, salad spinners can change your whole view of salad prep.
3. Keep it simple: More isn’t always better. Sometimes just a few ingredients are all you need.
4. Don’t be afraid of a little fat: A little goes a long way, provides tons of flavor, and can have health benefits when heart healthy fats are chosen.
5. Add some crunch: Texture can make or break an eating experience. Crunch is typically a desired texture in a salad.
6. Salads need balance: Crunchy needs soft, acid needs fat, and spicy needs creamy.
7. Add a topping: Top a salad with some fresh herbs can be the perfect way to jazz it up. …AND here is my perfect salad!